Here are the easy-to-find materials I used: Clear plastic sheeting (any size), duct tape, and food coloring. Just tape up the sides into a bladder then fill it up with a water hose. I got the sheeting from Home Depot's paint section in the aisle with all the tarps. I got this 2-roll pack and only used one 250 sqft roll. I just folded it and taped the 3 sides together to form a 125 sqft bag. This was PLENTY huge for 3 people but next time I will put together two sheets and tape all 4 sides to form a ridiculously gigantic 250 sqft bag... yeah baby!! |
This is FANTASTIC! Love everything about it! We are definitely doing this one :)
ReplyDeleteI LOVE this and your amazing pics! I'm going to be doing this this summer...maybe even for my son's birthdy party!
ReplyDeleteI'm doing it for my 1 year olds first b day
DeleteAmazing, great moments having fun! my kids also love to do it when the day is hot.
ReplyDeleteI must do this! What a great idea.
ReplyDeleteCan you please post a link to the type of plastic sheeting you used? Or help me understand what you used. I so want to make one as big as yours!
ReplyDeleteWill do... I'll take a pic of the sheeting wrapper tomorrow and update this post. But for now here is the sheeting I used... it's exactly the same as what PAHM used for her Bubble Boy activity: http://playathomemom3.blogspot.com/2011/08/bubble-boy.html
Deletehow did you fill it up with water and seal it without losing the water from it??
DeleteAny answer?
DeleteThis looks awesome! How long did it take you to make? Is this the same plastic sheeting they use to line the floors when painting walls?
ReplyDeleteYep, the same! I got it from Home Depot in the Paint section in the aisle with all the tarps.
DeleteIt is part of a painter's consumable materials but we use it to cover furniture in most cases and canvas drop cloths to cover floors. Otherwise we would slip and slide a lot. Also the plastic comes in different thicknesses.
DeleteOh, that looks like a LOT of fun! We'll have to do this! I'm pinning and sharing :)
ReplyDeleteINCREDIBLE!!! This so awesome! He looks like he's having TONS of fun!
ReplyDeleteWhat do you do with it when your done? We live in an apt, the way our building is set up we have an itsy bitsy bit of a backyard, I'm wondering what to do with it. Is it a one-time use project? Either way, it definitely looks worth it!
I found this in Pinterest!
Hey Melly Ann! You can get sheeting in all sizes. Or get a huge sheet and cut it to make smaller sheets. So you could have any size for your backyard. For us, we used a 250 sqft sheet, folded it, then taped the 3 sides together forming a 125 sqft bag. That was more than enough for kiddo, me, and hubby to play on together.
DeleteI would say this is a 1 or 2 time activity because it will probably kill the grass if left there too long. After we were done with it I just cut it open, drained it, and trashed it. I wasn't going to fool with trying to dry it, store it, and making sure it didn't grow mold inside. Sheeting is cheap and only takes 10-20min to tape up and fill another one, depending on the size. I spend the same amount of time inflating and filling up my son's kiddie pool in the summer :)
How fun! Thank you for sharing the idea and the darling photos! We can't wait to try this!
ReplyDeleteWhere did you get the plastic sheeting? How did you get it taped so well?
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry, i just realized you answered the question above! We are going to try this for my daughter's birthday!
DeleteHey, hope you got the info. I also updated the post to give more details on the materials I used and where I got them. Hope that helps :) Have FUN!!
DeleteThat is incredibly cool. What a fun mum you are.
ReplyDeletethis looks awesome!!!!! I can't wait to give it a try because it's already SO hot in Florida!!! I'm still trying to figure out exactly how you filled it up, but I guess it's just something you have to try!
ReplyDeleteHey TanuvasaCasa, it's easy... I taped up all the sides leaving a spot open large enough to fit the hose through. When it was all filled up, I raised that opening up a bit so I could pull out the hose and tape up that spot without water spilling out. Hope that helps... let me know!
DeleteAh Ha! Here's the answer! Thank you! Great Blog!
DeleteThis is super awesome -- we'll have to try this this summer!
ReplyDeleteI just found you through Pinterest. This is a wonderful idea!
ReplyDeleteOk, so I know you're a co-hots for the Weekly Co-op, but I have to feature this tomorrow on my blog for the linky party...it's just too good!
ReplyDeleteHey thanx, Amanda :)
DeleteI'm featuring this tomorrow too! This is such a great way to use old plastic sheeting. Love it!
ReplyDeleteHey thanx, Didi :)
Deletehttp://www.amazon.com/iTouchless-BR001U-Bag-Re-Sealer-2-Packs/dp/B000N5YBKC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1333125321&sr=8-1 -- you should use this instead of tape. much easier and probably waterproof.
ReplyDeleteThanx, I'll check it out :)
DeleteI scrolled through previous comments and I didn't see an answer to my question... so hopefully I didn't just miss it and make you answer it again. :) But I'm wondering how you fill up the sheeting with your water hose and then seal it up? Seems like it would get too wet for tape to adhere enough to seal it. What's your trick? Please share because I'm dying to do this with my kiddos! :) Thanks for the great idea!
ReplyDeleteHey A&S, I think the "trick" may be that I lifted and held it up to get the hose out. I taped up the 3 sides with duct tape leaving a small hole large enough to fit the hose through and to squirt in some food coloring. When it was all filled up, I raised that opening up a bit so I could pull out the hose and tape up that hole without water spilling out. Kinda like filling a waterbed... that is if you're old enough to remember those, haha! Yes, the duct tape sealed ours great. I happen to think duct tape is magical :) Hope that helps... let me know how it goes!
DeleteThanks! I'm going to go get the stuff for it today! I'll have to check in and let you know about all the fun we have with our kiddos on it! (And yes, I DO remember water beds!;) I thought they were awesome!)
DeleteGreat stuff. Thank you for ideas. We are doing glow bubbles tonight and this will be fun in the am bc I do not want 2 get out the waterside this weekend ;) ( I have a report due so I need quick ideas require little clean up. Yay thank you
DeleteThis looks like SO.MUCH.FUN!! I definitely want to try this (as much for me to play on as it would be for my daughter)!!
ReplyDeleteThis is fantastic! So doing this!! Do you think it would be sturdy enough for three older kids to play on?
ReplyDeleteHey PVM, yeah, I'd say it's fine for 3 older kids... depending on the size you make it and how great you tape it.
DeleteWhen you taped the sides together, did you overlap the sheeting by several inches, or did the seams us meet under the tape?
ReplyDeleteWell, I kinda went at it willy-nilly style. I started out trying to meet the seams under the tape but that was hard and time consuming. I got lazy and impatient so I switched to overlapping it about an inch then taping it down. In some places, I did go back and add more tape just to be safe. Hope that helps :)
DeleteThis is a great idea!!
ReplyDeleteWe are going to try this for sure!
Oh my gosh! That looks like so much fun! You said you and your hubby played on it, too? So it holds up well to adults? Because I kinda want to try this for myself! It looks like so much fun for kids, but I bet it would feel amazing when laying out tanning... =D
ReplyDeleteHey Sarah, Yeah, it's fine for adults... however, I should point out that kiddo, who is only 40 pounds) was the only one doing the really crazy stuff on it... jumping, flipping, running, and knee-dropping on it. I was not as (brave) rough on it... just belly rolls, walking, cartwheels, and a few bell dives. Belly dives are FUNNNN, btw :)
Deletesooo this is one of our weekend projects! :) just picked up the sheeting and another roll of duck tape this afternoon. The kids are gonna love it!!!
ReplyDeleteAwesome! Let me know how it goes!!
DeleteThis will be the best thing for this summer! Thanks for the idea and instructions!
ReplyDeleteAmazing! We live in the desert and it is already 80 degrees out during the day, have not filled the kiddie pool yet because the nights are still cold and the pool water will not stay warm enough. My toddlers are going to love this. Thanx for the idea, we will be 'waterwheeling' in a couple of weeks!
ReplyDeleteAWESOME!!! How many kids would you recommend being on this thing???
ReplyDeleteI would say about 3 kids on the 125sqft size we made.
Deletereally innovative, great thinking mom!
ReplyDeleteyou sound fun !!!! what a great Idea
ReplyDeleteSo fun! New follower! :)
ReplyDeleteI made one of these this past weekend as it hit nearly 90 degrees here in Kansas. My 2 year old daughter and 3 of the neighbor kids LOVED IT! Us adults had a blast on it too. Thanks for posting this. We have already discussed taking turns buying the plastic/duct tape and plans to make a HUGE one. LOL
ReplyDeleteAwesome! Yay!!! That's great, M-Black! I love to hear about kiddies having fun :)
DeleteI love it, thanks so much, and PLEASE continue to share!!!!!!! much appreciate!!!
ReplyDeleteI have made tents for kids with this kind of plastic. Instead of duct tape, I use an iron and some wax paper to "weld" the seams. A few seconds with a the cheapest iron I could find and the plastic sheets melt together. Wee!
ReplyDeleteTHIS IS SUCH A FUN IDEA! You are clever to think this up. I think I will make this for my grandchildren for a fun weekend. Thanks for the idea. I will pin it.
ReplyDeleteI saw this over at PAHM, and wondered about the durability. You have answered that question! How much does the plastic cost?
ReplyDeleteThe 2-roll value pack I bought (shown in the pic) was $14
DeleteWe bought ours at Lowes and one roll was $11, cheaper than taking them to McDonald's to get something to eat and let them play on their playground!!! This will done for the grandkids when they come to Grammy and Poppy's house!!Vick Mac
DeleteI'm just wondering how much duct tape it takes? I'm thinking of making this for my daughter's birthday party and want to get a fun duct tape color to match her theme.
ReplyDeleteNot much at all. I bought a huge roll from Home Depot.
DeleteHi there!!! I am The Chief's teacher. He is an amazing little guy that always makes me smile. I am constantly looking at this blog for ideas and regularly suggest it to other people. I am missing him over break and am looking forward to the opportunity to use the giant sensory bag. Maybe water day.... Thanks TC for your amazing inspiration! Like I have said before, are you sure that you do not want to open a business????
ReplyDeletehahaha! Thanx Ms D. We miss you too. See ya soon :)
DeleteThis is just great! I can't wait to try it on one of the 3 or 4 hot days we get in Seattle!!
ReplyDeleteHow about adding ice? That might be really "cool", lol!
ReplyDeletehahaha, yeah ice would be fun but it'd have to be flat with no sharp edges because we don't want to risk rolling an ankle or getting a hard poke in the belly or back.
DeleteWhat thickness of sheeting did you use?
ReplyDeleteI *think* it's 3.5 mil. That's what it says on the wrapper but it doesn't specifically say "thickness", so I'm not sure. See pic in post.
DeleteI think yhis is a great idea. But I tried this with that thickness and the pkastic didn't hold. It ripped when the kids walked on it. Duct tape held though. Am I doing somwthing wrong?
DeleteWhat a fun activity!
ReplyDeleteI tried this today... works great.. so easy and fun.. here is the link to a picture of my test one! gonna make a bigger and better one tomorrow! forgot to add food coloring, oh well!!!. Thanks for the idea
ReplyDeletehttp://pinterest.com/pin/196891814929273914/
Yay, it looks great!!
DeleteHi, I just love this. My kids are all grown up but all of my friends have little rascals. I can't stop talking about this. I decided I should put it up on my blog. I didn't see a "contact" button so I hope it's o.k. that I contacted you this way. Would it be o.k. if I put this up on my blog and linked back to this page for the directions? I would like to use one of your pictures in my blog post so anyone reading can understand what I'm talking about.
ReplyDeleteMy blog is http://simplicityofwellness.com. I need to start adding more posts about "Have Fun" and this looked like just the thing. Love it!
Amy
I just came over from Pinterest. This is such a fantastic idea! My kids would love this! Now if only our yard had grass already... (We're working on a yard - so maybe this year we'll finally have some.)
ReplyDeleteThis looks awesome. I don't have kids of my own, but I think this would be perfect for my great nephews. I will be moving into a new house soon & having a cookout so this would be fun for them to play on. I don't have grass at the moment & no even spots. I may have to put down a board with some padding or better yet some styrofoam insallation for it. Yes, I love it when a plan comes together. :) Looks like your little guy had a lot of fun. :)
ReplyDeleteyou should hurry and PATENT this idea before someone else does! this is absolutely BRILLIANT!!!!
ReplyDeleteHi! I found this last week on Pinterest and finally picked up some plastic sheeting tonight. I can't wait to try it with my kids tomorrow! Thanks for sharing the idea and your great pics. :)
ReplyDeleteThat looks like so much fun! :)
ReplyDeleteHoly cow this is awesome!!!!!! :) I love all the pics of him! What great fun on a hot day!
ReplyDeleteSUPER COOL!!! And I agree with everyone above--great photos! Definitely pinning this!
ReplyDeleteThis is a completely awesome idea . . . now, to find a flat place in the yard.
ReplyDeleteThis is a great idea! Can I suggest Tuck Tape instead of Duct tape. Tuck tape is awesome! We used in on our pool cover and it was amazing...no leaks. Just a suggestion.
ReplyDeleteWicked idea for kids to play on!
Thanx... will check out the Tuck Tape!
DeleteWe have a yard with a slight incline. How about a long version as a slip 'n slide...maybe with some big bags of sand at the end to stop the sliding? Probably slide right off the side once one had some momentum though. Oh well...fabulous idea!
ReplyDeletelove this idea! Can anyone give me some direction on how you tape i together? Any tips to make it easier?
ReplyDeleteI dont' know how you didn't have a leak with the 3.5mil plastic. I picked up 8mil plastic to do this and after about 3 jumps from my toddler we spring some leaks, the plastic just stretched as they walked on it. It wasn't a big deal, but next time i'm going to use shower curtain liners.
ReplyDeleteI had the same problem! Huge leaks and some large holes with 3mil. It was still fun but the shower curtain liner is a great idea!
DeleteThis is the greatest thing I have seen in a long time!! I plan to try this out with my kids sometime soon. I also will be checking out to see what other nifty ideas you have :)
ReplyDeleteHow is it that I am only just seeing this now? Can't believe I missed it before. This is AMAZING! We're coming into winter now. Boo! I don't care. We're still going to do this! :)
ReplyDeleteI love this idea.....but we tried it today and it leaked everywhere after about an hour. But I have 3 kids 6 and under so maybe they are just too much for it? Anyway, when it was leaking they had on their swimsuits and had a blast getting soaked. Wish I had an old waterbed mattress! If something like this was sold in stores, I would definately buy it (assuming it was more heavy duty)!
ReplyDeleteThis is great I would love it if you would link it up on my Summer Bucket List party going on at http://www.missinformationblog.com/2012/05/summer-bucket-list.html
ReplyDeleteSure... done! Thanx for the invite :)
DeleteSuch a fun Idea!!! I am a newly stay at home mommie to my 4 year old daughter and I am always looking for fun things to do! This looks super fun! Pinning!!!!
ReplyDeleteI love this idea! I found it on pinterest and it led me to your site!! We live inan area where summer days can be fairly cool at times and my girls love to swim! We will have to add this to our summer bucket list! Thanks.
ReplyDeleteBusyhandsblessedhearts.blogspot.com
I was thinking of making this on a smaller scale for outdoor dog beds in the hot summer days...Do you think their nails would pop it though?? This would be much cheaper than expensive cooling beds! I will also keep it in mind when I do have kids some day too!
ReplyDeleteOMG!!! WHY HAVE YOU NOT MARKETED THIS? I WOULD DEFINITELY BUY THIS. IT WOULD BE EASIER FOR ME TO BUY THAN TO TRY AND MAKE. MY GRANDSON WOULD LOVE IT
ReplyDeleteWhat fun~! I've got to try this. Thanks for sharing it with us :)
ReplyDeletehttp://playathomemom3.blogspot.com/2012/02/redneck-waterbed.html
ReplyDeleteI so want to make one of these! What fun!
ReplyDeleteI am adding this to my bucket list.
ReplyDeleteTotally awesome!
ReplyDeleteThis is one of the best ideas I have ever seen! Had to pin it for all to see and added to our summer fun list for this year!! Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteThis is wonderful! My grandson would love it!
ReplyDeleteWow, what a fantastic idea!! Looks like you two were having so much fun!! Can't wait to try with my 4 year old son. Thank you.
ReplyDeleteWow, wow, WOW! I never would've thought of this. Was it difficult to tape? I have so many questions! Did you just use regular duct tape? Only one piece per side? Have you tried the extra large one yet? My kids would declare me queen if I did this. Lucky, lucky kiddos!
ReplyDeleteWonderful idea for elementary school field days! Karen
ReplyDeleteI did this! It was a super fun Memorial day activity!! Thanks for sharing!! I used a cheaper tarp and it made baggy dents when we walked on it. It still held up though! I'm going to try it again with exactly what you used. I have pictures too if you want to see them!
ReplyDeleteWith all the glow-in-the-dark ideas floating around Pinterest, I wonder if this could be made into an evening activity...
ReplyDeleteCool idea. Or you could try a more durable one with a clear waterbed mattress.
ReplyDeleteThis is great! I picked up a 3X25 sheet and folded it in half = 3X12 tube. With five kids from the neighborhood ages 6-12 they had a great time rolling around on this thing! We sprange a few leaks but nothing that a fresh strap of duct tape couldnt handle. Thank up for this great idea!
ReplyDeleteSO COOL!! I'm adding this to our summer to do list right now!
ReplyDeleteVery fun cool idea!!!
ReplyDeleteI was thinking of painting sea creatures inside before folding. Also, I am going to stitch it on my sewing machine before duct taping. Has anyone else tried that? Amy M
ReplyDeletenice written
ReplyDeletenice baby pics
ReplyDeleteProbably the coolest thing ever. I'm gonna have to make one big enough for my 4 year old, the hubs, and myself. Darn....
ReplyDeleteTo those in crazy hot areas. I recommend not doing this in the summer unless you don't want to use it the next day. It heats up fast. Also, I overfilled and when I got on it there were Indentions in plastic that weakened it :) GREAT fun though. Just would do it in spring or fall and maybe keep adults off :)
ReplyDeletegood post
ReplyDeletenice
ReplyDeletegood post
ReplyDeletenice
ReplyDeleteThanks for the sharing of such information. we will pass it on to our readers. This is a great reading. Thanking you
ReplyDeleteFor the Diner, you can quickly find restaurants serving the dishes you
ReplyDeletewant, then look through what’s available and make your email booking.
good
ReplyDeletegood post
ReplyDeletenice stunt
ReplyDeleteWe are going to have a blast. I have a 15 mo old and babysit a two yr old they will love this in the back yard. I think my 13 yr old will too. Im going to get some of those animals that grow in water to put in it maybe a little confetti. After all they are girls.
ReplyDeleteWe are going to have a blast. I have a 15 mo old and babysit a two yr old they will love this in the back yard. I think my 13 yr old will too. Im going to get some of those animals that grow in water to put in it maybe a little confetti. After all they are girls.
ReplyDeleteDo you think this is sting enough for adults to play on?
ReplyDelete